My kids are BANANAS over these muffins and I hope yours will be too! There are no refined sugars in this recipe and only a small amount of added sugars from the pure maple syrup (the rest is from natural fruit sugars) making them a sweet, yet healthy breakfast or snack option. I also love that they are higher in protein than most muffins (due to the 6 eggs) and contain a good amount of fiber (from the coconut flour).
Bodacious Banana Muffins (dairy free*, gluten free, nut free)
makes about 12 regular sized muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp pure Maple syrup (I used grade B, but grade A will work just as well….it just doesn’t have as potent a maple syrup taste.)….or you can sub honey.
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil* or grassfed butter (Kerrygold is great brand that is sold in many grocery stores)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt (I use a Himalayan pink salt)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pell the bananas and place them in a blender or food processor until you have a banana puree.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, melted coconut oil/butter and applesauce to the blender or food processor and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- In a bowl mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to let the coconut flour absorb some of the fluid then give another quick stir.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop the batter into a well-greased muffin tin (use either coconut oil or butter) or unbleached parchment muffin liners (The If You Care large baking cups are my favorite).
- If using the nuts add them to the top of the muffins batter before baking. Nuts can add an awesome bit of texture and walnuts are rich in ALA, a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (note: I have baked a single batch for 45 minutes and on a different occasion a double batch for 30 minutes so keep an eye on your muffins the first time and perform the handy dandy toothpick test…..if it comes out clean your muffins are done!)
- Store leftovers in the fridge…… if there are any.
Hope you enjoy biting into these bodacious banana babies as much as my family does!